As a locally-owned company, we’re always rooting for our home team, and this baseball season we’re excited to support the Birmingham Barons. The minor league baseball team has been a staple in the Birmingham community since 1986 and is the Double-A affiliate of the Chicago White Sox.
Over the years, the Barons have gone through a lot of changes. In 1887, the team played most of its games at Slag Pile Field, located on 6th Street between 1st Avenue North and the Alabama Great Southern Railroad tracks. Birmingham millionaire industrialist, A. H. “Rick” Woodward, purchased the Barons in February 1910 with aims to construct a new ballpark. Construction of Rickwood Field, the first concrete-and-steel ball park in the minor leagues, was completed prior to the first game played there on August 18, 1910. Continue reading